Elixir’s umbrella projects have long been a go-to choice for structuring applications. While they provide a great foundation for modular code organisation, they still fall short when it comes to fully embracing the benefits of a microservices architecture.
In my talk, I will unveil a strategy for transforming umbrella monoliths into scalable microservices. The best part? This approach requires little effort and leverages the built-in, battle-tested mechanisms provided by Erlang and Elixir.
I will guide you through a step-by-step guide, demonstrating how to transition from an umbrella monolith to a distributed microservices architecture – with practical code examples.
- Identify the limitations of umbrella projects and monolithic architecture.
- Understand the fundamentals of distributed Erlang/Elixir.
- Learn how to cluster nodes for scalability and fault tolerance.
- Explore communication mechanisms between distributed nodes.
- Gain practical insights on splitting an umbrella project into microservices.
- Developers interested in umbrella applications and distributed systems.